We tend to do unusual activities, ideas that require more imagination then cash. The goal is fun and time spent together. But no stress. No running around. No waiting in lines. Living a slow motion life.
This is how memories are made.
Here's a short list of ideas to get you started.
- a candy tour - map out a few local candy stores, give each person a set $ limit per store (usually $2.00 is enough) and hit the road. Pack a picnic lunch, lots of water, and invite some friends along. This year we're hitting Chester NJ where there are 4 candy/chocolate stores, last year we did the entire county!
- find a babbling brook at a nearby park and wade into it. Bring along some squirt guns and towels, again pack a lunch and just enjoy nature.
- set off on a local bike ride, and every time you get to a crossroads, flip a coin to decide which way you go. Don't forget to pack lunch. And a picnic blanket. Then find a tree.
- take a self led walking tour of a big city nearby. Go in early on a Sunday morning - no traffic, lots of parking. Pack a quick lunch, eat it on the steps of a really big impressive building. Make sure you buy ice cream from a outdoor vendor, and browse inside unusual shops.
- look on the site http://www.roadfood.com and find somewhere near you that is unique and unusual for lunch. Have that giant piece of cake or that tiny burger.
- go tour an unusual museum. Just google unusual museums near your location and you'll be surprised by what pops up. We've been to the Houdini museum, The Jello Museum, the Carousel Museum to name a few. Pack a lunch and go.
And even if you're summer is technically over all ready, Saturday is just a few days away. Plan something unusual that won't involve crowds, lines or lots of money.