Friday, September 23, 2011

It's Fall - Let the Kettle Corn POP!

It's a foggy day here at my house, the humidity is about 100%, mosquitoes are everywhere, but the calendar says autumn.  So, autumn it is. And I recently discovered something autumnal.

As a result, I have another thing to add to the "things I didn't know I could make at home and it tastes BETTER then the one I buy" list.

Really.

The back story: A few weeks ago my kids had a hankering for some kettle corn.
Options: I could drive to the farmer's market and buy a bag for $7,
I could drive to Trader Joe's and buy one for $2, I could be my usual lazy self and make some at home.

I figured "how hard could it be to make?" I had all the materials on hand.

and "how hard could it be to find a recipe?"

Thanks to the Internet, the answer is really easy........and really cheap.

Here it is in all it's glory - (and I'm sorry, I don't remember where I got the recipe from!)

Homemade Kettle Corn

ingredients:
  • 1/4 c. of oil - whatever you have on hand
  • 1/2 c. popcorn kernels
  • 1/3 c. sugar
  • salt
  • large pot WITH LID!
steps:
  1. heat oil and 3 kernels of popcorn in large pot over med-high heat with lid on.
  2. when you hear the 3 kernels pop, add the popcorn and the sugar. Give it a stir, then cover. It looks like it's not going to make much - but trust me.
  3. once you hear the popcorn start popping, give the pot a quick shake every few seconds until the popping slows down - just a few minutes. You will think only a few popped, but when you open it up, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
  4. remove from heat and pour into a bowl. Right away. Otherwise it will burn.
  5. sprinkle with salt - serve right away, or keep it for later (like that's gonna happen!)

Be sure to remember the lid, or your kitchen will look like a scene from a cartoon with popcorn kernels flying everywhere!

Now sample it. Yummy right?

After you finish off that batch, make some with your kids after school. Yes, it's that good that you'll want to eat the whole batch. And it's that easy to make a new batch. So, be the best mom on the block today! Bet no one else is making home made kettle corn!

And why is this on an organizing blog you may ask? Because it makes my life easier to make lots of  yummy things than run to the store. I'm replacing a dull errand with a fun activity. Which takes less time then going to the store! and if you want to see more - I also have recipes for The Best Muffins Ever & The Easiest Cake Ever!

be organized.....evelyn

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest