Thursday, October 6, 2011

Sometimes You Just Have To Break The Mom Rules....

It was that kind of morning in my house. no one wanted to rise & shine, but life said we had to. I was up a bit late reading, so when my alarm went off, I snuggled down deeper into the covers.

http://www.hersheys.com/pure-recipes/184/HERSHEY'S
And it was a brisk morning.

And the heat's not on yet.

And it was still dark outside.

Hence, it was hard to get up.

And I've yet to figure out why when I'm the one who works from home (http://www.artadventuresartstudio.com,) I'm the first one up.

And if I'm not up, I'm pretty sure no one would be up.

Is it like that in your house? Why is the mom
always the one "driving the bus" in the morning. And I don't mean driving the kids to school, I mean getting the entire household up & out in the morning. Here's my secret mom fantasy - I just ignore the alarm in the morning and see what happens. I'm guessing it would be lunch time before anyone moved. But that's only on weekdays. On weekends the kids are up bright & early........sigh.

Anyway, back to the subject. Sometimes you have to break the mom rules. Here are some examples:

  • We had chocolate cake for breakfast this morning. I had made it last night with whole wheat flour, so I'm working on the theory it's better then a doughnut. Back me up on this. At least it got the kids out of bed. And I didn't have to cook this morning. And everyone had the same thing. Woo hoo!
  • We extended reading time last night. My kids we're actually pleading with me for this. I granted them 15 minutes - but that meant I had 15 minutes extra too. We all won.
  • Sometimes we have dessert first. Especially when it's ice cream. There is no good reason for this. It's just fun.
  • And sometimes we do an entire ice cream day. This means we have ice cream for every meal. Usually on National Ice Cream Day, July 18th. My friends think I'm crazy for doing this. (Hi Amy!).
  • My birthday is next week. To celebrate, we're doing a food tour of south NJ - I've researched the best pretzels, doughnuts, & cream puffs and we're gonna try them all. Topped off by a stop at The Pop Shop - one of my faves in Collingwood, NJ. You have got to go there if you can - over 22 different types of grilled cheese -and the owners are fun to boot. They definitely break the mom rules.
So - you get the idea?

It's actually easy to break the mom rules, because not one of us actually likes making the mom rules. We do it because we have to, but we still feel like kids inside. So, when we break the mom rules,  we're getting away with something also. And then we all win.

After all, since we're driving the bus, we make the rules.

Want some more of my wacky words of wisdom? Try my book - http://www.organizingwithevelyn.com

be organized.....evelyn

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest