Thursday, January 12, 2012

Does This Drive You Crazy Like It Drives Me Crazy?

I'm convinced that it will be the minor things that completely unhinge us. Am I right? What's on your list?

One of the things on my list was spotty glasses. Now I know this sounds trivial, but everyday when I pulled a drinking glass out of the cabinet, it would depress me to see that what was once a shiny sparkling glass was now a cloudy mess. Almost white. Really, really bad. Got to the point where I didn't want to offer a drink to anyone!

Anyway, before you think I'm just a terrible glass washer, let me place the blame where it belongs. It's not my fault.

I live in the Northeast United States. We have really, really hard water. Full of all sorts of wonderful minerals. Minerals that leave your glasses and dishes looking like you never wash them. (This also means that we need to replace all of our faucets every few years. But that's another story for another day.)

Today I'm here to tell you I have found the Holy Grail, the answer to my cloudy glass problem. And it truly is a miracle.

Non toxic.
Cheap.
Easy.
(And no, the answer isn't buy all new glasses. I already did that. Only a temporary fix).

The answer is - common everyday white VINEGAR!

You will not believe how this solves the problem.

The Steps
  1. Get a really big bottle of vinegar. Costco sells it by the gallon jug. Perfect.
  2. Pour the vinegar into a basin or bowl.
  3. Put your glasses in. It's best if you can submerge them, that may require purchasing 2 gallons of vinegar. I put mine in and rolled them around.
  4. Let soak for an hour.
  5. Give a quick scrub - and voila! Your glasses will be sparkling again!
How can it be so easy you ask?
I don't know.
I don't care.
I'm just happy it works.

My second favorite use for vinegar? Getting rid of the hard water deposits from the above mentioned hard water. Just soak a cloth in vinegar, wrap it around the base of the fixture where the deposits accumulate, leave it there for the entire day, then just wipe away the residue.

Again - how does it work? I have no idea. Do I care? Nope.

There are hundreds of uses for vinegar. If you get so excited about your clean glasses & fixtures and just can't stop using it, click here to find out more ways vinegar can be your new best friend.

And for those of you chanting about how I should just get a water softener - I have one. It just hasn't been installed yet. And that's really a story for another day!

By the way, have you purchased my book yet? You really should. It will change your life for the better, give you back your free time and make wonder why you waited. http://www.organizingwithevelyn.com

 be organized.....evelyn

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest