Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Fruit Flies are NOT Your Friends!

Short, sweet and to the point today.

'Tis the season for fruit flies in your kitchen. Fun for them, not fun for you.

Mission: get rid of them. Without spreading poison around your kitchen.

Answer:
  1. put away any fruit that's out of the fridge.
  2. get a small flat dish, this one is a creme brulee dish from Trader Joes
  3. put a 1/4 inch of wine - red or white, either is fine
  4. add one small squirt of dish detergent
  5. place it somewhere the fruit flies gather, I put it on my windowsill
  6. watch it attract the flies! want more info on them? click here 
  7. dump out and repeat daily until they are gone. Could be as long as 8 days - that's the life cycle of a fruit fly.
I'm off to do a consult for a home office today, hence the short & sweet.

Go handle your fruit flies....

 be organized.....evelyn

2 comments:

Joanna said...

Apple cider vinegar, beer and coffee work too! And thanks for the info on the length of these guys' life cycle. I didn't know how long it was. I'm kind of waiting for the next round to hatch before declaring my home fruit fly free!

Evelyn Cucchiara said...

Joanna,

Good to know about the beer & coffee. I tried white vinegar, but it didn't work. Guess it needed the "cider" to attract them. I've tried the funnel & bottle ideas found on the web also, but the flies just landed on the edge, almost mocking me. The flat dish with an edge is the only vessel that worked for me.

Thanks for the input!

Follow Me on Pinterest